No one wants to have an accident, but sometimes someone is deprived of the choice. A company car driver who acts carelessly can cause an accident with one or more cars, resulting in a lot of damage to vehicles and injuries. The person who gets all the necessary information at the scene of the accident and contacts a lawyer for help will be the first in line for compensation. Transport companies and their insurance companies don’t want to pay out more money than necessary, so it’s important to get legal help right away.
Get legal help in a truck accident
Each accidents with commercial trucks are serious and can cause injury and vehicle destruction. But trucking companies don’t want to pay out more money than they need to, especially if more than two vehicles are involved. Their priority is to limit financial liability. But accident victims need to collect as much money as possible to cover damage and injury costs. Acting quickly for your own account is important.
If you are involved in a commercial vehicle accident, here are some steps you should take if you are able to do so.
- Be sure to call 112.
- Try to collect evidence on the spot, including taking lots of photos.
- Get information about insurance companies, driver’s licenses, phone numbers and addresses of everyone involved in the accident.
- Take information from potential witnesses to the accident.
- Get the responding police officer’s opinion on accident liability.
- Seek medical help.
- Contact insurance companies.
- Talk to an accident attorney.
- Provide proof that the driver was employed by the transport company. There are independent truck drivers who act as independent contractors.
- Have your attorney prepare a letter of formal notice for each insurance company involved.
- Now is the time to file an insurance claim.
- If the insurance company does not offer fair compensation, file a lawsuit and go to court.
The law firm will demand compensation from all liable parties
The person injured in an industrial truck accident may not realize all the parties that could be liable. Since each party may have limited resources, it is important to have a qualified attorney acting on your behalf who knows the rules about liability in a commercial truck accident. The liable parties may be:
- The driver of the company car
- The transport company
- The owner of the truck
- The dispatcher of the transport company
- Truck manufacturer
- The truck trailer manufacturer
An experienced truck accident attorney will be able to determine liability for the accident and guide the accident victim through the required legal process. In addition to the damaged vehicle, the accident victim may have serious injuries that require medical care now and in the future and will entail high medical bills. There may be missed work and pay stubs and other costs and damages for which the victim needs compensation.
Large trucks are involved in many traffic accidents
More than 5,000 large trucks were involved in a traffic accident in 2019 alones. This is a significant increase compared to previous years and the increases are continuing. A significant number of those accidents involved injuries and deaths. The worst month for fatal truck crashes is September, with 64% of crashes happening during the day. The accidents happened on both rural roads and highways. This shows that a person needs to be careful when driving near large trucks, regardless of their location.
Get medical help
When a person is injured in an industrial accident in a truck, they can have varying degrees of injury. Seriously injured people can be transported to a hospital by ambulance. Less seriously injured people can be left to their own transport to receive medical attention.
When deciding where to go for medical help for an injury, consider choosing a doctor who is experienced in car accident injuries. They know what injuries to look for and treat and can prevent some injuries from getting worse. Physicians who specialize in accidental injuries are used to billing insurance companies for their patients.