By Kalin Kassabov, founder and CEO of ProTexting.coma fast-growing suite of enterprise text messaging services.
Live chat is a feature that makes your website more informative and attractive to visitors. It helps you stand out from the competition, giving prospects and customers a more interactive experience. Offering chat is especially effective on e-commerce sites where visitors have a wide selection of products and often need guidance. Let’s take a look at how live chat can help you increase your earnings, along with some tips for getting the most out of this engaging feature.
The benefits of live chat
Ecommerce is growing rapidly as more people shop online every year. The 2020 pandemic helped accelerate online shopping, but even before that, people appreciated the convenience of shopping at home. At the same time, an ecommerce site has more competition than ever before. You need features and services that set you apart. Live chat achieves this in several ways.
Speed and convenience
People want to quickly find what they are looking for. Forrester reports that 53% of shoppers refrain from making an online purchase if they can’t find a quick answer to their questions. With live chat, they can talk to someone right away without having to send an email or pick up the phone. Visitors save time as chat service representatives direct them to the right products and answer questions about product features, shipping, and other policies.
Learn more about your customers
The questions people ask through live chat will give you valuable insights into their needs and preferences. For example, if a lot of people ask if you offer gift wrap, this is a feature you should consider offering. If you get a lot of questions about a Product X that you’re not yet selling, it’s an indication that you should start offering it.
Meet customer expectations
As technology advances and online shopping becomes more mainstream, customer expectations are rising rapidly. Today, many shoppers expect an ecommerce site to offer live chat. They also prefer this interaction over other options such as email, phone, and social media. Live chat has the highest customer satisfaction rate of 73% compared to other channels. Millennials, in particular, prefer live chat for customer service because of its speed and convenience.
Helps you increase sales
Research shows that live chat helps businesses to sell more.
• kayak reports that 79% of customers achieved higher sales, retention rates, and revenue with live chat.
• Using information from LiveChat, it was found that the average return for a single chat is $249.
• According to WebsiteBuilder.comlive chat increases conversions by 20%.
• to invest reveals that customers who use live chat spend 60% more per purchase than non-chatters.
Make the most of live chat
If you want to get the best results from live chat, you need to follow certain guidelines.
• Stick to the brand. Make sure your chat agents are trained to communicate with your customers in a way that fits your brand’s tone and style. For example, some companies have a hip and casual style, while others are more formal and business-like.
• Use chat scripts, but keep them flexible. Scripts provide guidelines for team members to stay on track and deliver accurate information. However, if conversations sound too scripted, it can be a turn-off for customers. A script can be used as a blueprint, especially for newer agents. However, encourage team members to personalize and improvise as they gain experience.
• Use chat to reduce the number of abandoned carts. Starting a chat with a customer who has been on a checkout page for more than a few minutes can help prevent cart abandonment. Such a conversation can be started with an automated message and followed by a live discussion if the visitor responds.
• Use chatbots to complement live chat. While chatbots cannot provide the same level of assistance as live chat, they are a useful backup tool when live agents are unavailable. A chatbot can answer frequently asked questions and give visitors advice on when to talk to someone live.
Live chat is one of the most effective ways to provide quality, real-time support to website visitors. It is a position that works in many sectors. When done right, live chat is a tool to build your brand, engage better with your customers, and increase your profits.