When is Mahashivratri 2023: The festival of Mahashivaratri will be celebrated on 18 February this year. On this day devotees keep a fast to Lord Shiva and pray to him to fulfill their wishes. It is believed that Lord Shiva and Mother Parvati got married on this day. Let us know about those works which we should not do even by mistake on the day of Mahashivaratri.
1. If you want to please Lord Shiva on the day of Mahashivratri, then don’t wear black colored clothes on this day. Wearing black clothes on this day is considered inauspicious.
2. It is a belief that the devotees should not accept the prasad offered to the Shivling, as it brings bad luck. By doing this money loss and diseases can also happen.
3. Never offer Tulsi on Shivling. Before offering milk on Shivling, keep in mind that do not use pasteurized or packet milk and only offer cold milk on Shivling. Abhishek should always be done with such a vessel which is made of gold, silver or bronze. Never use steel, plastic utensils for Abhishek.
4. Don’t offer Ketki and Champa flowers even after forgetting Lord Shiva. It is said that these flowers were cursed by Lord Shiva. Ketaki flower should not be offered in the worship of Bholenath even though it is white.
5. Shivratri’s fast starts in the morning and lasts till the next morning. Vrati should take fruits and milk. However, you should not eat anything after sunset.
6. Broken rice should not be offered in the worship of Lord Shiva even by mistake. Akshat means unbroken rice, it is a symbol of perfection. That’s why while offering Akshat to Lord Shiva, see that the rice is not broken.
7. First of all Panchamrit should be offered on Shivling. Panchamrit means a mixture made of milk, Ganges water, saffron, honey and water. Those who worship four Prahar should do Abhishek of first Prahar with water, second Prahar with curd, third Prahar with ghee and fourth Prahar with honey.
8. Offer Belpatra with three leaves to Shiva on Shivratri and keep the stem by your side while offering it. Broken or torn belpatra should not be offered.
9. Apply Tilak to Lord Shiva using milk, rose water, sandalwood, curd, honey, ghee, sugar and water. Although many fruits can be offered to Bholenath, but berries must be offered on Shivratri. Because plum is considered a symbol of eternity.
10. It is a belief that only white colored flowers should be offered on the Shivling or the idol of Lord Shiva. Because Bholenath loves only white colored flowers. To please Bholenath on Shivratri, sandalwood tika can be applied. Never apply Kumkum Tilak on Shivling. However, devotees can apply kumkum tika on the idol of Maa Parvati and Lord Ganesha.
11. One should not sleep till late in the morning on this day. Get up early and don’t eat anything without taking a bath. Even if there is no fast, do not take food without taking a bath.
mahashivratri auspicious time
The Chaturdashi Tithi of Mahashivaratri will start on February 18, 2023 at 08:02 PM and end on February 19, 2023 at 04:18 PM.
Time of Nishita Kaal – February 18, from 11.52 pm to 12.42 pm
First hour worship time – February 18, from 06.40 pm to 09.46 pm
Second hour worship time – from 09.46 to 12.52 in the night
Third hour worship time – February 19, from 12:52 pm to 03:59 pm
Fourth hour worship time – February 19, from 03:59 am to 07:05 am
Time of Paran – February 19, 2023, from 06.10 am to 02.40 pm