Monday, June 27, 2022

Russia says it will not strand US astronaut in space despite media reports

Must read

Shreya Christinahttps://cafe-madrid.com
Shreya has been with cafe-madrid.com for 3 years, writing copy for client websites, blog posts, EDMs and other mediums to engage readers and encourage action. By collaborating with clients, our SEO manager and the wider cafe-madrid.com team, Shreya seeks to understand an audience before creating memorable, persuasive copy.

Last week, a wave of news reports alarmingly claimed that Russia threatened to strand an American astronaut on the International Space Station in direct response to sanctions against the country as its neighbor invades Ukraine. But the Russian state space company Roscosmos is trying who fears to rest, saying: that it will bring the astronaut home as planned.

The NASA astronaut in question is Mark Vande Hei, who has been living on the International Space Station since April 2021. Vande Hei, along with two cosmonauts, was launched to the ISS on a Russian Soyuz rocket from Kazakhstan. While I lived on the ISS, his stay was extended to a full yearand it is planned to return home on March 30 in another Soyuz pod. When he returns home, he will hold the record for longest continuous space flight by an American astronaut. in about 353 days

Fears that Russia would refuse to bring Vande Hei home on the Soyuz began circulating last week. The source of the confusion came from a video shared on March 5 by RIA Novosti, a Russian state news program, which showed footage of Vande Hei on the ISS with his fellow Russian cosmonauts. The clip was clipped together in such a way that it looked like the Russians were going to leave it behind and then completely detach the Russian part of the ISS.

However, the seriousness of this ‘threat’ was always questionable. Dmitry Rogozin, the head of Roscosmos, shared the video on his Telegram channel, along with a message from RIA Novosti suggesting it was a joke. “The Roscosmos television studio jokingly demonstrated the possibility of Russia withdrawing from the ISS project – disconnecting the Russian segment from the station, without which the American part of the project cannot exist,” the caption read.

But many US news outlets took the video quite seriously. Good morning America and Fox news ran stories alleging that Russia threatened to leave Vande Hei behind, along with several other outlets. Now Russia refutes those claims in a new story from TASSone of the country’s other state-run media outlets.

“US astronaut Mark Vande Hei will travel back home with Russia’s Anton Shkaplerov and Pyotr Dubrov on March 30 in the Soyuz MS-19 spacecraft,” Roscosmos said in a statement, according to TASS. Vande Hei and the rest of his crew are scheduled to land in Kazakhstan, as the landing destination has been for all previous Soyuz landings. Meanwhile, NASA has also maintained that both the US space agency and Roscosmos will continue to work together on the International Space Station and that operations will continue as normal.

In the TASS report refuting the claims about Vande Hei, Roscosmos tried to downplay the furore. “Roscosmos has never made anyone doubt its reliability as a partner,” the company’s press service said.

To be fair, it becomes a challenge for Roscosmos’ partners to discern when to take “funny” space reports from Russian media and Dmitry Rogozin seriously. Rogozin has had a bit of a Twitter rant in recent weeks, tweeting several angry statements and memes in response to the United States and Europe imposing sanctions on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine. They ranged from threatening threats – like when he put forward the idea that the ISS would crash into the US without Russia’s help – to ridiculous videos – like this one from a Tom and Jerry cartoonwith the characters labeled “Ukraine”, “Russia” and “NATO”.

Rogozin is the head of the Russian space program, and the things he says online sometimes translate into actual policy. For example, Rogozin tweeted a video of himself on March 2, in which he makes a series of conditional demands on Roscosmos customer OneWeb. Roscosmos was set to launch a new batch of satellites for OneWeb on a Russian Soyuz rocket from Kazakhstan on March 5, but Rogozin said Russia would not proceed with the launch unless the company promised that the satellites would not be used for military purposes and that the The UK government is selling its entire stake in OneWeb. The company did not agree to the demands and as a result Roscosmos rolled the Soyuz back off the launch pad. The launch never took place.


More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article